Department of Community Services (DCS)
Effective Monday, March 23, the Department of Community Services (DCS) will staff a temporary pick-up and drop-off desk for residents, realtors and contractors inside the main lobby in City Hall outside Common Council Chamber from 9AM to 12PM Monday - Friday for construction permits, Zoning Certificates of Occupancy, tree permits, engineering permits and other forms.
The desk had previously been staffed from 8:30AM to 3PM daily. This reduction in hours is in response to public health and safety concerns. These forms can be downloaded on the city website (SCROLL DOWN). All other completed forms with contact information can be returned to this location for drop-off only. Review of forms will be completed by staff at a remote location and applicants will be notified if forms are incomplete or ready for processing.
Zoning Certificate of Occupancy applications and other permits that are ready to be issued can be paid for cash (exact amount only) or check.
- Permits and applications will be processed in approximately two business days and the applicant will be notified when it is ready for pick-up at the drop-off point.
- Inspections are continuing on a regular schedule.
- All inspections must be scheduled by phone at (908) 273-6408. Before calling, please have the permit number for the project available.
To ensure the health and safety of staff at the drop-off location, please maintain a safe distance from the counter.
Also, please ensure that there are no unhealthy individuals at either the jobsite or home during this time, and keep a safe distance away from City inspectors during the inspection.
PLEASE NOTE: DCS has suspended the submission of any new Planning Board or Zoning Board of Adjustment applications either in-person or by mail, effective immediately and until further notice. Any Federal Express, UPS or USPS packages containing new applications will be returned.
Protocols may change as public health conditions warrant; please check the city website frequently for updated information or call the Construction Office at (908) 273-6408.
The Department of Community Services (DCS) is responsible for Engineering and Public Works, Code Administration [Code/Construction/Planning/Zoning], and the City’s Environmental Initiatives and serves as the single point of contact for all property and land development issues.
The Division of Public Works contains various units that maintain City streets, shade trees, storm and sanitary sewers, traffic signals, public parks, buildings, and grounds.
The Division of Code Administration serves to ensure proper implementation of the state-mandated Uniform Construction Code, which helps guarantee safe structures for all building construction, renovation, alteration, or demolition.
Discover information about various planning and zoning applications, forms, ordinances and government reports.
The Division of Engineering manages city infrastructure projects, including road improvements, curb and sidewalk projects, and city sanitary and storm sewer systems. The division also provides general guidance to property owners, in addition to keeping and updating the City’s official tax maps, preparing and maintaining sanitary and storm sewer maps, and other related files.
Browse photos of City properties, Community Services operations, storm and snow operations and disaster operations.
- Snow Storm Guidelines (PDF)
- Affordable Housing Annual Report 2019
- Construction (Building) Permit Process (PDF)
- Engineering Permit (PDF)
- Grading Permit (PDF)
- Zoning Review Form (PDF)
- Required Inspections (PDF)
- Space Regulations (PDF)
- Recycling Flyer (PDF)
- Business Recycling Flyer (PDF)
- Your Regular Trash Day (PDF)
- City of Summit Tree Removal Permit (PDF)
- Fair Share Housing Center Agreement (PDF)
- Summit Park Line Feasibility Study (PDF)
- Report Street Light Outage to JCP&L
- Sidewalk Installation and Maintenance Plan
- Sidewalk Plan Presentation 3.5.2019
- Construction Permit Submittal FAQ
- Engineering Permit FAQ
- Land Survey FAQ
- Union County_Household Hazardous Waste Collection_Flyer
- Union County_Scrap Metal Recycling Program_Flyer
- Union County_Mobile Paper Shredding Events_Flyer
- NonPermit Zoning Coversheet
NJ American Water replacing 4060 ft of aging water-main lines beginning April 6 for next three months, Mon to Fri between 8AM and 4:30PM. Includes replacement of five fire hydrants and 80 service lines on Kent Place Blvd from High St. to Passaic Ave.
The Summit Zoning Board meeting previously scheduled and advertised for April 6 at 7:30PM has been canceled. All hearings and agenda items will be carried to the first available public meeting once the state of emergency has been lifted in New Jersey.
Leaves are picked up curbside on your regular household trash collection day. Place leaves in paper, biodegradable bags. Do not rake or blow leaves into piles in the street. Do not include twigs, branches and other yard debris in leaf bags. More information