Trash & Recycling
Holiday, Change & Closure Alerts:
- Recycling Collection: Collection is as regularly scheduled.
- Trash Collection: Collection is as regularly scheduled.
- Please clear a path for crews to access trash containers. If containers are not accessible, crews will not remove trash.
- During holidays, inclement weather and other emergencies, there may be a delay in pick-up time on your collection day. Please have your bagged trash out for collection the night prior when possible.
- Transfer Station: Operating on normal business hours
- Dial-A-Truck: Collection is as regularly scheduled.
- Leaf Collection: Collection is as regularly scheduled for Fall 2021.
- Fall leaf collection is scheduled for curbside pickup on your household trash collection day.
- Collection begins Monday, October 4, 2021 through Friday, December 3, 2021 or the first major snow fall.
The municipal Transfer Station provides recycling, composting and solid waste disposal.
The Transfer Station is operating within normal business hours:
- Tuesdays - 7:30am - 3:45pm
- Wednesdays - 7:30am - 3:45pm
- Thursdays - 7:30am - 3:45pm
- Fridays - 7:30am - 3:45pm
- Saturdays - 7:30am - 4:45pm
- CLOSED: Sundays, Mondays & Holidays
Visit the Transfer Station page to learn more.
- Trash is collected weekly on your regular trash day (PDF), including all holidays.
- Trash should NOT be brought to the curb on your collection day. It should be left up your driveway with a clear path for collectors to gather it on your specific day.
- Bagged trash should be placed in your trash receptacle by or before 6am on the day of collection.
- The Garbage & Recycling Collection information Sheet can assist in answering questions you may.
- Missed trash collections can be reported online for the fastest service using Report-A-Concern or by calling (908)-273-6404 during business hours.
Residential curbside recycling is collected on Thursdays unless it falls on a holiday at which point it will resume its normal schedule the following week. The Recycling Flyer (PDF) contains information regarding what can be recycled curbside and at the City of Summit Transfer Station (operated by the City). please note:
- Summit recycling is collected by an outside contractor every Thursday city-wide.
- Place recycling curbside the night before or by 6AM on Thursday.
- Recycling must be separated into two containers: (1) paper/cardboard | (2) glass/plastic/metal.
- Two separate trucks collect recycling (1) paper/cardboard and (2) glass/plastic/metal.
- Recycling should NOT be placed in plastic bags due to the destructive effects they have on the material sorting equipment.
- Keep containers at the curb or your designated collection area until all is collected.
- Missed pick-ups should be accompanied by an affixed notice by the vendor as to why the materials were rejected. You should report a missed collection immediately:
- Missed recycling collections can be reported online for the fastest service using Report-A-Concern or by calling (908)-273-6404 during business hours.
- After reporting a missed pickup (phone or web), leave recycling in your pickup location. Missed collections take place on Fridays.
- Plastics bags are not accepted as recyclable material at this time nor should recycling materials be placed in plastic bags and left at the curb for collection.
Summit Free Market
The Summit Free Market is a student-run initiative that allows residents to bring reusable, yard-sale quality items to share, and take whatever they may want or need at no charge. Since its inception in 2008, the Summit Free Market has served more than 5000 residents and has kept over 165 tons of reusable material from the waste stream. Visit the Summit Free Market website or on Facebook for donation guidelines and more information. You may also click the flyer image to to learn about dates and times for current season free market operations.
Union County Disposal Events
Union County hosts scrap metal recycling, hazardous waste and document shredding programs. Visit the Union County Website to learn more and find upcoming dates and locations.