In the event people decide to use non-aerial fireworks, Acting State Fire Marshal Mikutsky urges them to follow these safely guidelines:
- Only buy from reputable places;
- Don’t buy if packaging is damaged or appears tampered with;
- Don’t try and “fix” broken or “dud” fireworks;
- Never use indoors;
- Don’t use in very windy or dry conditions;
- Always have water handy and follow manufacturer’s instructions;
- Never relight a “dud” firework;
- Never aim a firework at yourself, another person, animals, or buildings;
- Wait 20 minutes to dispose of properly.
When disposing of fireworks, completely soak used or “dud” fireworks in a bucket of water and allow them to soak overnight. Then double wrap the soaked fireworks in plastic wrap or a plastic bag to help keep them from drying out and place the wrapped fireworks in regular household garbage.
Printable flyer legal and non-legal fireworks: https://www.cityofsummit.org/DocumentCenter/View/5940/New-Jersey-Now-Legal_Color-Flyer