The next Common Council next meeting will be held on October 16. There will be one ordinance for introduction on the reorganization of council committees beginning in January 2019. There are a number of resolutions for review, including resolutions related to the purchase of communications equipment, applications for grant monies, installation of a monument to honor Summit’s Congressional Medal of Honor recipients and installation of a new stop light on River Road.
To view the complete Common Council agenda, go to: https://www.cityofsummit.org/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/_10162018-592?html=true
Ordinances for Introduction
Only one ordinance will be introduced at this council meeting. This ordinance is to reorganize Common Council committees. There are currently six committees with two members of council assigned to each committee. The committees review, consider and evaluate proposals and ideas from city departments before being addressed by the full council. This reorganization, if approved, would be effective for 2019. It changes the responsibilities of certain committees and replaces other committees. The reason for the change is to ensure that council committees are organized to provide comprehensive coverage over city department activities and facilitate greater and improved communications among departments whose works are interrelated.
Resolutions for Consideration
- Council will vote on approving a new telephone system for City Hall.
- Council will consider submitting a grant application to the NJDOT for a bike path on the proposed Parkline trail.
- Council will consider submitting a grant application to Investors Foundation for the Hometown Heroes banner.
- Council will vote on whether to authorize the American Legion to install a monument (a four-foot high pillar with bronze plaques) on the Village Green honoring two Congressional Medal of Award recipients from Summit, Alan Eggars and Thomas O’Shea.
- Council will vote on approving the purchase of two dump trucks to be used for snow removal, and a bobcat tool cart.
- Council will vote on an agreement with Union County for the installation of a traffic light on River Road at the corner of Chatham Road (near the Broadway Diner).
Next Council Meeting: Wednesday, November 7 at 7:30PM. Election Day is on November 6. Please exercise your