News Flash Home
The original item was published from 3/9/2018 10:17:24 AM to 3/15/2018 12:05:06 AM.

News Flash

Community News

Posted on: March 9, 2018

[ARCHIVED] Summit Fire Department Issues Information on Generator Safety during Power Outages

generator use

The Summit Fire Department asks citizens to employ the following safety tips when using a generator:

  • Never use a generator inside a home, garage, crawl space, or other enclosed areas. Fatal carbon monoxide fumes can build up, that neither a fan nor open doors and windows can properly ventilate.
  • Always use a generator outdoors, away from open windows, vents, or doors.
  • Use a battery-powered carbon monoxide detector when running a generator.
  • Use extension cords that are grounded and rated for generator use. Coiled cords can get extremely hot; always uncoil cords and lay flat in open locations.
  • Never plug a generator directly into a home outlet. If connecting a generator into a home electrical system, have a qualified electrician install a power transfer switch.
  • Take precautions to protect your generator from exposure to rain and snow. Never operate under wet conditions.

For more information on the Summit Fire Department and generator safety, please visit cityofsummit.org/fire

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Community News