The City of Summit Parking Services Agency is announcing that as part of its unified parking management program it will begin installation of automated license plate recognition technology for parking payments in municipal parking lots and garages on Monday, March 20 through the end of April.
Payment stations with automated license plate recognition technology will be installed on specified dates in the following locations:
- March 20 to 22: Broad Street Garage, Broad Street East lot
- March 23 to 24: Elm Street lot, Sampson lot
- April 3 to 5: Tier Garage
- April 6 to 7: Chestnut lot
- April 10 to 12: K-lot, Post Office lot
- April 17 to 19: Bank Street lot
- April 20 to 21: Park & Rail lot
- April 24 to 26: Library/YMCA lot
- April 27 to 28: Park & Ride lot
The City of Summit first implemented automated license plate technology in November 2016 on Railroad Avenue. Parking enforcement vehicles have been equipped with a camera and computer that reads a license plate, checks for a digital permit, and looks up the payment type.
“Customers purchase parking time by entering the license plate number of their vehicle and the amount of time they wish to park at a pay station,” explains Parking Services Manager Rita McNany. “Each machine accepts payment by coins or bills with exact change only, by credit and debit cards, and Parkmobile for smart phone payments. Parking Services staff will be available to assist users at each location during the transition.”
For more information about parking in Summit, please visit cityofsummit.org/parking or contact the Parking Services Agency at firstname.lastname@example.org or 908-522-5100.