Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L) meteorologists continue to closely monitor Tropical Storm Hermine. Based on their forecasts the company will activate its storm response plan and Incident Command System structure Saturday 9/3 at noon.
JCP&L has made arrangements to:
· Bring in additional line, substation, damage assessment and forestry crews
· Staff additional dispatchers and analysts at regional dispatch offices
· Hold update calls with elected officials
· Staff county emergency management offices, including the NJ Regional Operations & Intelligence Center (ROIC), if activated
· Secure additional hazard crews
· Arrange staging sites
In the event outages occur, customers who are without power are encouraged to call 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877) to report their outage or click the “Report Outage” link at www.firstenergycorp.com
JCP&L also encourages customers to be prepared and plan ahead for the possibility of electric service interruptions by following these tips:
· Keep flashlights and fresh batteries in your home. Avoid using candles to light your home, especially around children and pets.
· If you have a water well and pump, keep an emergency supply of bottled water and/or fill your tub with fresh water.
· Stock an emergency supply of convenience foods that do not require cooking.
· Have a hard-wired telephone or a charged cell phone handy in the event you need to report your electricity is out. Mobile phones can be charged in your vehicle using a car charger when power is out.
· Keep a battery-powered radio with extra batteries on hand. Tune to a local station for current storm information.
Customers are reminded to stay away from downed wires, even if they believe they are no longer carrying electricity. Extra caution should be used in areas where downed lines are tangled with trees or other debris.
Follow JCP&L on Twitter @JCP_L, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/JCPandL or online at www.jcp-l.com.