Replacement Street Trees Available
Each spring, the City of Summit replaces street trees that have been removed due to old age, storm damage, and insect or disease problems.
The City Forester’s Office has an excess of replacement trees, which are available for Summit residents to claim for free for a limited time.
For residents who are interested in having a tree planted in front of their home, the location must meet the following standards:
• No planting within 35 feet of a stop sign.
• No planting within 25 feet of an intersection.
• No planting within 35 feet of another tree.
• No planting within 10 feet of an underground utility.
• No planting within 12 feet of a driveway apron or utility pole.
• Aggressive species exceeding 25 feet in height at maturity will not be planted under above ground utilities.
• Trees for NJ Streets published by NJ Shade Tree Federation will be the standard for determining species’ suitability for planting belt widths.
• The planting must take place within the public right-of-way, which in most cases is 10 feet from the face of the curb.
If you are interested in having a tree planted in front of your home and feel that the proposed location meets the above standards, please contact the City Forester’s office at 908-598-2175 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The planting will take place by the end of May.