Commuter Update Center
There will be no Midtown Direct trains out of New York Penn Station in the evening. Commuters must access PATH train or NY Waterways service into Hoboken.
On weekends, Midtown Direct trains will operate directly in and out of NY Penn Station.
Revised summer schedule.
WHY NOW? WHY US?
This work must happen now to prevent even more delays and to create a safer commuting environment. It will be the first step toward greater transit reliability in the future.
The City of Summit will hold NJ Transit and Amtrak accountable on providing real-time updates to customers about delays and repair schedules.
NJ Transit message to customers.
NJ Transit customer FAQs.
TICKETING/FARE DISCOUNTS FOR M&E CUSTOMERS
M&E Midtown Direct customers will receive up to a 63 percent discount off regular NY fares with purchase of a Hoboken destination ticket for July and August. One-way, Round-trip, 10-trip and Reduced Fare tickets purchased with the discount will have expiration dates of September 1.
- Discounted monthly passes available for purchase June 19
- Discounted weekly passes available for purchase June 29
- Discounted One-way/Round-trip/10-trip and reduced fare tickets available for purchase July 9
All tickets for travel into Hoboken with Hoboken as the final destination will be cross-honored on:
- NY Waterway ferry service to 39th Street, Pier 11 and the World Financial Center
- PATH train service at Hoboken, 33rd Street Station and the World Trade Center
- Newark Light Rail
- NJ Transit bus service, special express bus service at Newark Broad Street Station and South Orange Station to Port Authority Bus Terminal
- Private carrier bus operators including DeCamp, Lakeland and Community Coach
Please note: Hoboken weekly and monthly passes will be valid on weekends for Midtown Direct service into New York. Hoboken one-way, senior and reduced fare tickets will not be valid on weekends for Midtown Direct Service into New York Penn Station. In addition, Hoboken tickets will not be valid for travel into New York on Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast Line or Raritan Valley Line trains from Newark Penn Station.
More information on cross-honoring options.
- Boxcar is offering an express bus from Summit to NY Penn Station each morning at 7:30AM for a cost of $13.99 one way. There is no return service available in the evening. Pick up is from Broad Street between Maple Street and Railroad Avenue.
Download the Boxcar app on iPhone or Android to purchase tickets. Visit the Boxcar site for more information.
- NJ Transit customers will need to show their rail ticket/pass to access PATH, ferry and bus options in Hoboken. Customers using single ride tickets should remember to hold on to their paper tickets when exiting the train to display when boarding the PATH, ferry or bus.
- Customers using single ride paper tickets are strongly encouraged to purchase round-trip tickets as they will have to display an NJ Transit ticket at the W. 39th St. ferry terminal and the PATH stations at 33rd and World Trade Center for travel to Hoboken. There are no NJ Transit ticket vending machines at those ferry and PATH locations.
- Customers are advised to download the NJ Transit Mobile App to purchase electronic tickets from anywhere at anytime.
- Cross honoring and alternate travel options will be available on weekdays only. Weekend service is not affected. Cross honoring will not be in effect from 2AM Saturday until 6AM Monday.
- M&E Customers traveling to/from Penn Station NY on weekends, using single ride tickets, will need to purchase tickets with Penn Station NY as the final destination
GET UPDATES, STAY CONNECTED
The City of Summit strongly advises commuters on all modes of transportation to sign up for City of Summit website alerts and to follow us on Facebook (City of Summit) and Twitter (@CityofSummitNJ and @SummitNJParking).
Commuters can also subscribe to NJ Transit alerts, follow NJ Transit on Twitter (@NJTRANSIT), and visit the NJ Transit website njtransit.com/theupdate for information and updates, or call 973-275-5555.
Download NJ Transit's mobile app for easy access to service information and advisories, ticket purchases via MyTix, real-time train departure status through DepartureVision, real-time or scheduled bus arrivals through MyBus, and other features to assist you during your commute.
If you will be altering your travel pattern during this time, you may way to update your travel alert preferences in your My Transit account. If you do not have a My Transit account and are a frequent traveler on NJ Transit, sign up to receive alerts at njtransit.com/mytransit.
NJ Transit is holding two listening forums with senior and executive management in advance of the Amtrak summer repairs beginning July 10.
Thursday, June 15
4:30PM to 6PM
Penn Station NY
(Lower Level Concourse)
Thursday, June 22
4:30PM to 6PM
(Main waiting room in station concourse)